August 29, 2010
1) We Are Sex Bob-omb – Scott Pilgrim – Sex Bob-omb
Even though there was Scientologist involvement in the creation of the song, it’s still a great way to kick off a movie, a great way to start a mix. Fuzzzzzzzzzz.
2) Your Love Is So Strong – Personal Life – The Thermals
There are actually a ton of semi slow jams on the new Thermals record, but fuck THAT. I want the tracks with way-yooooos and the handclaps.
3) Riley – 1,000 Years – Corin Tucker
Corin Tucker swoooooooooooooon. Wait, so is it Carrie’s comedy career that’s holding up the Sleater-Kinney reunion? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, DUDE?
4) Pursuit of Happiness – lissiemusic – Lissie
My disappointment in Lissie’s debut album is mitigated by the stunning array of covers she puts up on youtube. Usually indie covers of hip-hop songs have a little kitsch to them, but Lissie just sinceres the shit out of this track. Amazing.
5) We Used To Wait – The Suburbs – Arcade Fire
This is Arcade Fire’s essay on lost romanticism in the internet era of instant communications. I think it’s actually a thinly veiled plea not to download leaks of their record. TOOOOOOO LATE.
6) Never Gonna Give You Up – Brothers – Black Keys
It breaks my heart that this is not a Rick Astley cover. KILLS ME. It’s actually a cover of Jerry Butler, who has never rickrolled anyone ever.
7) Wilderness Heart – Wilderness Heart – Black Mountain
Black Mountain is BACK with some more slabs of psychedelic sabbath riffs, and the spooky cool vocals of Amber Webber. I WANNA LIVE PREHISTORIC. Also, the album sports one of the most ridiculous covers in recent history.
8) This Fucking Job – The Big To-Do – Drive-By Truckers
Instead of whining about work, I usually just blast this on my headphones. Does the trick every time. We got recession anthems, y’all.
9) Big Wave – I’m Having Fun Now – Jenny & Johnny
This album is a nice summery pop record compared to Jenny Lewis’s solo records, but I’m still iffy on this Johnny fellow. He’s no good for you, Jenny! This is ALSO recession themed, at least at first.
10) Castor And Pollux – Are You My Mother? – Kathryn Calder
Kathryn Calder manages to fulfill my need for Canadian alt-rock, Greek myth and references to FACE/OFF. Well done, young lady.
11) I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine – Levi’s Pioneer Sessions 2010 – The Dirty Projectors
Even if you didn’t know it was a Bob Dylan song, it’s very obviously a Bob Dylan song. It’s quite lovely though.
12) Two-Headed Boy – AV Undercover – The Swell Season
Swell Season really nailed this cover, I only wish I had a better recording of it.
August 4, 2010
Ok this wasn’t made for shark week. Greg Lynn sculpture fountain at the Hammer museum.
July 31, 2010
1) Each & Everyday – Crazy For You – Best Coast
When Best Coast is on, they combine lots of my favorite genres. Here you get some wonderful fuzzed out rock with some lovely girl group melodies tossed over. The droneout middle of the song makes this the album closer, but I like working backwards so it’s my opener.
2) A Day Long Past It’s Prime – Are You My Mother? – Kathryn Calder
I’m pretty sure that apostrophe doesn’t belong there, but it’s in there on the album, I swear. Calder has a hard time ditching her New Pornographer roots, as this song strongly mimics some of her uncle Carl Newman’s tricks. Never a bad thing, really.
3) Kiss With A Fist – Lungs – Florence + The Machine
Songs about domestic violence aren’t really my thing, but I bet Mel Gibson loves the shit out of this song. So I’ll dedicate this track to Mel, you horrible piece of shit.
4) Eclipse (All Yours) – Twilight – Eclipse – Metric
Yeah, this was written ESPECIALLY FOR THE MOVIE. Emily Haines actually read
the books the wikipedia summaries of the books and wrote this track. So it has all the requisite longing and sadness. Thankfully, she pulls short of referencing shirtless werewolves.
5) Empty Room – The Suburbs – Arcade Fire
I’m not sure what to make of the new Arcade Fire album quite yet, but this track jumped out at me as one of the few tracks with real energy. It’s a bit messy, but I’ve always liked Arcade Fire more when they were a bit rough around the edges. Less preachy that way.
6) Foxhole – L’Aventure – The Happy Hollows
I have three versions of this song on my hard drive. Two of them are by Television, which makes this the worst version, but it’s still a great version.
7) Supertoys – Transit Transit – Autolux
Autolux has FINALLY put out this album after releasing the first single two years ago. Carla Azar is still destroying on drums, but now they sing about A.I. The Movie.
8) Stranger in the Window – Elf Power – New Elf Power
Elf Power is kind of the forgotten Elephant Six band, but they’re still cranking out records. I haven’t been in love with them since Dream in Sound but they usually manage a track or two. I think it’s about love. I’m pretty sure it’s about love.
9) Go Outside – “Cults 7″”” – Cults
Choirs are a cheap way to get your on my mixtapes. I swear everything sounds better when a bunch of folks are singing it at the same time.
10) When Love Is New – Songcatcher – Dolly Parton and Emmy Rossum
This popped up from a gift mix I got… 3 years ago? I really dug the mix because it had some inside jokes, call and response music choices, a kind of mixtape conversation. I think I had the White Stripes’ cover of Jolene on one my mixes, and this was kind of like, “here’s some real actual Dolly Parton, dickhead.” Look, I didn’t say it was a friendly conversation.
11) Bully – Catching A Tiger – Lissie
Lissie’s been one of my favorite newish acts, just because her voice is stellar. Shamefully, about half of her debut record is overproduced to inanity, destined for TV show soundtrack packages and what not. This track is from the other half.
12) Evening Star – Destroyer of The Void – Blitzen Trapper
I shelved the new Blitzen Trapper record for a while because it just didn’t click for me, but I gave it another pass, and this is some kind of sad cougar ballad, about using time machines to recapture your stonewashed high school glory. If it’s not, I like my interpretation better anyway.
June 30, 2010
1) I Don’t Believe You – Personal Life – The Thermals
2) Wishing He Was Dead – Release Me – The Like
3) Howlin’ For You – Brothers – Black Keys
4) Heavy In Your Arms – Twilight – Eclipse – Florence + The Machine
5) Boyfriend – Crazy For You – Best Coast
6) Black Sheep – B-Sides and Rarities – Metric
7) Slip Away – Are You My Mother? – Kathryn Calder
8) Everywhere I Go – Catching A Tiger – Lissie
9) Goodbye Girl – Levi’s Pioneer Sessions 2010 Revival Recordings – The Shins
10) Scissor Runner – Jenny and Johnny – Jenny and Johnny
11) Silver Jenny Dollar – Together – New Pornographers
12) I Died So I Could Haunt You – The Five Ghosts – Stars
May 30, 2010
1) Month Of May – The Suburbs – Arcade Fire
2) Infinity Guitars – Treats – Sleigh Bells
3) Next Girl – Brothers – Black Keys
4) World Sick – Forgiveness Rock Record – Broken Social Scene
5) Factory – Infinite Arms – Band Of Horses
6) Transmission – Heart and Soul – Joy Division
7) Four Long Days – Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives – Voxtrot
8) High Fidelity – Get Happy!!! – Elvis Costello
9) Valkyrie In The Roller Disco – Together – New Pornographers
10) Better Things To Do – I Learned The Hard Way – Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
11) When I’m Alone – Lissiemusic Live – Lissie
12) Compass – Red Dead Redemption – Jamie Lidell
April 30, 2010
1) Water in Hell – Forgiveness Rock Record – Broken Social Scene
2) Crash Years – Together – New Pornographers
3) She’s Long Gone – Brothers – Black Keys
4) Heard It On The Radio – “Interpreting The Masters, Vol. 1: Hall and Oates” – The Bird And The Bee
5) Bad Romance – Lissiemusic Live – Lissie
6) Laura (Girls) – – Mates of State
7) It Only Takes One Night – I Will Be – Dum Dum Girls
8) Bottled In Cork – Brutalist Bricks – Ted Leo / Pharmacists
9) Separate – Record Store Day – The Thermals
10) Afraid of Everyone – High Violet – The National
11) Trudy – Infinite Arms – Band Of Horses
12) The Man Who Would Speak True – Destroyer of The Void – Blitzen Trapper
March 30, 2010
1) Black Knight – All 7 Inches and More – River City Tanlines
2) Ativan Eyes – Brutalist Bricks – Ted Leo / Pharmacists
3) 1880 – We Kill Computers – The Pack A.D.
4) Bhang Bhang, I’m A Burnout – I Will Be – Dum Dum Girls
5) Bloodbuzz Ohio – High Violet – The National
6) The High Road – Broken Bells – Broken Bells
7) Dog In The Burning Building – The Desert of Shallow Effects – Miles Kurosky
8) I Can’t Go For That – Interpreting The Masters, Vol. 1: Hall and Oates – The Bird And The Bee
9) A Perfect Hand – Here Lies Love – David Byrne and Fatboy Slim
10) Automatic – Beauty And The Beat – The Go-Go’s
11) Oh Mississippi – Why You Runnin’ – Lissie
12) In the Sun – Volume Two – She & Him
February 28, 2010
1) When I’m With You – When I’m With You – Best Coast
2) Awkward Kisser – Telekinesis! – Telekinesis!
3) Your Hands (Together) – Together – New Pornographers
4) An Apple For An Apple – The Desert of Shallow Effects – Miles Kurosky
5) Jail La La – I Will Be – Dum Dum Girls
6) I Learned the Hard Way – I Learned the Hard Way – Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
7) Thieves – Volume Two – She & Him
8) Little Lovin’ – Why You Runnin’ – Lissie
9) Under the Milky Way – B-Sides and Rarities – The Happy Hollows
10) Atlantic City – Nebraska – Bruce Springsteen
11) On A Good Day – Have One On Me – Joanna Newsom
12) Sugar Baby – The Harry Smith Project – Kate & Anna McGarrigle